Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup
This meal-in-a-bowl brims with fill-you-up soluble fiber, thanks to the lentils. Translation: It may help keep weight down and also helps lower total and "bad" LDL cholesterol. The lentils, spinach, and tomatoes, all rich in potassium, work to keep blood pressure in check, too.
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat oil on medium until hot.
- Add carrots and onion, and cook 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly browned and tender.
- Stir in cumin; cook 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, broth, lentils, 2 cups water, salt, and pepper; cover and heat to boiling on high.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 8 to 10 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in spinach.